Student rights

What are my rights as a student?

Problem with a faculty member or course

If you feel that you have been treated unjustly by a professor, you as a student have rights. Click here to access the steps outlined in the college Academic Grievance Process in order to resolve such a problem.

Students who have a concern about a course, should first meet with their instructor to discuss their concerns.  If a student feels their concern/issue is not resolved at the instructor level, a student can then meet with the School Director.  The School Director level is where most concerns are resolved.  In rare cases, a student may pursue the final option of contacting the Assistant Dean for Student and Academic Affairs.

A mark of "I" (incomplete) is given by the instructor when you are otherwise doing acceptable work but are unable to complete the course because of illness or other conditions beyond your control. You are required to arrange with the instructor for the completion of the course requirements. The arrangement is recorded on the Request for Grade of Incomplete form. Do not reregister or pay fees to complete the course. You have one calendar year from the date the mark of "I" is recorded to complete the course. When you complete the course, the instructor must submit an online grade change request. If you receive an "I" in an undergraduate course in the fall 1983 or thereafter, your grade will be automatically changed to a failing grade "E" if you do not complete the course within one calendar year. If you receive an "I" in a graduate course (500-level or above) your "I" grade will become a permanent part of your transcript if you do not complete the course within one year, and you will have to reregister and pay fees to repeat the course for credit. Marks of "I" are changed to a grade of "E" (0.00) for purposes of evaluating graduation requirements for undergraduate students.  Granting of a grade of Incomplete is at the discretion of the faculty member.

Problem with another student or personal situation (i.e. landlord, fraud, etc)

If you have a complaint against another student or personal situation, the Student Advocacy office of the ASU Downtown Phoenix campus can provide assistance and guidance in fixing your situation.

Protecting my personal information

As a student, information about you is protected under FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act).  For instance, a parent cannot call to inquire about your grades unless you have already filed the appropriate paperwork giving such permission.

My behavior as a student

It is expected that all students will conduct themselves in a civic and ethical manner.  Your behavior and actions, however, might not adhere to the ASU Student Code of Conduct.  Ignorance is never an excuse!

If you have questions, please contact

Joanna Lucio
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
phone: 602-496-0449